Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

In 1984 when the Tech Data package was finalized for the M24 there were no US arsenals loading Match 30-06, it had been discontinued in 1969 after the adoption of the M14 in the mid 1950's and the prevalence of the M14 in the National Matches. The Navy was already working on .300 WM rifles called M700/300's now known as the M13 Mod O, so the Win Mags were on deck.

I would guess that Maj Mende was in High school when the M24 was adopted, I was working with the barrel maker who made the original 1500+ barrels for the first M24's.

Myth in the Military is a common as push ups, I can still find you a hundred guys in the service that will tell you "its illegal to shoot people with a .50 cal." Yet, my company makes the scope rings for the US, Canadian and other NATO countries .50 sniper rifles.

I am not meaning to argue, but I was there.

Marty
    Badger Ordnance

Major (Ret) John Mende was the Weapons System Matrix Manager during the development of the M24.

3. Default

As I mentioned I was working with the Barrel maker from the beginning and when we did testing on the first prototypes they were on long actions and when asked "Why"
    Fred Martin, Remington's Lead designer on the M24 project, said "it was for the possible upgrade to Win mag."

Thanks for reading.

Marty
    Badger Ordnance

4. Default

I had a chance to interview Maj. Bruce Wincensen, a retired USMC Ordnance Officer about his role in the development of the M16A2 some years back, and during the course of our discussion, he mentioned he was a consultant on the M24 project and that it was an LA for an intended chambering in 300WinMag.

Marty did you work for Mike during that period?
    Last edited by Chris F; 04-23-2011 at 07:25.

5. Default

I worked with Mike, not for. I was doing my own thing at the time and we were doing some muzzle break development for Remington.

Mike is a personal friend of mine and I worked on some projects for him on and off over the years, then when he sold it to Accuracy International, they hired me as a consultant for a while.

Marty
    Badger Ordnance