Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Most of our old NRA Match Rifles would qualify, most of the F Class rifles, even a lot of Benchrest rifles. I agree it's not a wise idea in the current socio-political USA to even use the term "sniper" among strangers. Better to let your scores do the talking; you know the folks on the firing line appreciate accuracy.

Fogtripper Guest

Perhaps this subforum should be changed to "precision rifles"?

I agree that many who are merely couch commandos may build up a LR rifle and call it a "sniper", but (as with my recent new rifle post shows) there are precision rifles that don't really fit into any of the other subforums.

3. Default

In my mind, a sniper rifle is a military weapon designed to be used in combat (police sharpshooters use tactical weapons in my opinion). My monicker is out of respect for what I believe to be one of the best combat sniper rifles ever used in combat. I am prejudiced, as I am partial to combat arms used as sniper rifles under combat conditions against individuals who shoot back.

I am influenced by such actions as that performed by Marine Pvt. Roland Fisher of the 51st Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Regiment who killed 6 Germans at 1400 yards on 11 Jun 1918 while under attack by both infantry and artillery (three witness statements in his file) in one of the most vicious battles in US history. Pvt. Fisher was shooting from a haystack and was subsequently wounded by responding artillery fire. His rifle was a 1903 Springfield, star gauged, with a Winchester A5 scope using regular ball ammo. Pvt. Fisher was picked as a Marine Scout Sniper because of his ability to shoot, and his records indicate no special "sniper" training.

In comparison, no way could I ever consider Charles Whitman a sniper, although he shot 33 people and made some incredible shots and he too was a Marine. Whitman was a murderer, pure and simply.

The term "sniper" is like the term "spy", it can be used in many circumstances, but we all know what a real spy is. Real spies get shot or imprisoned, and are not tried in state courts. Real snipers are under federal/military jurisdiction and get medals for their exploits.

Jim