Threaded View

Default +P Loads for Older or Obsolescent Cartridges

I read an article about what this fellow refers to as +P loads for the .250 Savage. There are disclaimers, the loads are only suitable for modern bolt action rifles and are most versatile with 1 in 10" barrels.

The fellow who wrote the article was at the range when he saw an old boy shooting a custom Mauser 98 action rifle in .250 Savage and his 100 gr bullets were topping 3,000 fps. His load data was at the very top of the manual he was using. My own pet load out of my Remington 700 Classic is 34 gr. of IMR 4064 powder behind a Hornaday 117 gr interlock boat tail spitzer which produces about 2,750 fps. This is right at the top of the loads on an old Speer manual and 1/2 gr. over the max in my current Hornaday manual. No signs of overpressure, its a very accurate load and I've killed several deer with it.

The Remington 700 is a very strong rifle and obviously I'd never try anything like this this in an old Savage 99.

Has anyone tried to boost a round like .30-30 Winchester out of a bolt gun like a Remington 788 or Ruger No. 1 for example??? Just curious. I know Hornaday has different loads for the .45-70 depending on action type ranging from very mild to very stout indeed.

Again, I'd never recommend max loads or a bit over on these old cartridges in anything but a modern, very strong rifle like a bolt action or single shot. My .30-06 loads, for example, are very mild M1 compatible rounds, respecting the age of my mil-surp rifles.
    Last edited by Art; 12-07-2023 at 06:39.