Thread: Guns in Cars

Threaded View

Default Guns in Cars

I wrote about this once before but an incident happened in Houston which reinforced it in my mind.

I'll start by saying again that someone committing a crime using one of my firearms is worse than almost any other possibility.

Two young thugs who's specialty was breaking into cars were caught in the act by the law and apprehended after a foot pursuit. While they were running they were just molting guns, other stuff too but a bunch of guns they'd swiped from parked cars. Today firearms are one of the prime forms of "contraband" sought by thieves, and a car that for some reason looks especially like it could contain a gun are prime targets. Some folks just have a "car gun" they leave in their vehicle full time. Others, and I think this is what happens in most cases, are forced to leave their firearm in the car when they have to go to a place where guns aren't allowed such as bars, medical facilities, certain government offices etc. I have to leave my carry gun in the car in the frequent trips I have to make to medical practitioners these days. In those cases I try to valet park and lock my firearm in the glove box and to get back to the "Family Truckster" as soon as possible. This is obviously not a sure fire solution, but the only option other than going to these locations completely unarmed which isn't acceptable either.

So your options seem to be - carry in spite of the sign telling you that you're firearm isn't welcome here and risk arrest for "Firearms Trespass," secure the gun the best way you can in the vehicle and be away from the car the shortest time possible, or not carry when you're going to a location where you know carrying your self defense firearm is prohibited.

Obviously not drawing attention by having stuff like a "We don't call 911" bumper sticker on your car helps but sure isn't a guarantee.

its a dilemma .
    Last edited by Art; 10-27-2023 at 12:53. Reason: Typo, spelling