When at end of ROTC summer camp, the mandatory requirement per the Armorer for end of training , return of M14 rifle was it had to be bone dry and clean. I cleaned my weapon meticulously, lightly lubed it and rubbed all surfaces with issue gun oil.

My rifle was rejected. Those who took their M14 into the shower , scrubbed it with a tooth brush and used Bon Ami cleaner on bore brush down bore...and water down bore . Dried their weapons , patched bores bone dry and Guess What....their rifles passed inspection by the Armorer.

Great Scott...can anyone imagine the condition of those M14 after six weeks bone dry in storage till next training cycle ? Did I go back to the shower and "clean" my M14...well, what choice did I have.

Years later, as a secondary duty as a 2Lt. in B/1/504, 82nd Abn Division, I was assigned Arms Room officer and death on maintenance of all weapons, they were clean but cleaned properly and I never forgot that knucklehead armor demanding weapons bone dry. Come time for 82nd Abn Div IG inspection, the E6 who was the inspector commented our weapons were not bone dry and ready for inspection, I did not hesitate to make it known they will never be so, and took him to task. Well truth be told, the E6 was tasked to be an inspector, he was not Armorer qualified and he backed off. He inspected to see if all weapons were operational and we got a Satisfactory as Arms Room Evaluation.

Point: Armorers and Weapons Inspectors.....some can't pass the IQ test of wet rag.