Threaded View

1. Default Factory wood repairs with wood putty

I have acquired an interesting SA Garand in the 5.4 M serial range that I believe is likely a Greek return (not the Garand I posted about in another thread, but one about 17,000 later 5.460 range). This one has really beautiful wood that is wholly ding free save for one small area with some wood filler in it, pictured below under magnification.

After studying this quite a bit, I'm convinced this was a wood repair done at Springfield when new, as the there is no sign of sanding or anything AFTER the stock was oiled, and the stock is perfect in every way short of this one spot. It appears to me from the dark colors of the wood bordering the spot where there is filler applied that this was a bark inclusion or void in the stock that probably only became visible when it was sanded to final profile.

I've seen brown putty repairs on original M14 stocks, and I've seen a Springfield manual that mentions brown "plastic" being applied as early as the 1903 Springfields, but I'm just wondering if any of you have original, unrefinished Garand stocks with this kind of factory (not arsenal overhaul) repair? This stock is so pretty, it's really like a pimple on an otherwise perfect face, but as I'm convinced it was done at the factory, it makes it a little more palatable!

IMG_2185.jpg

attachment-5.jpg

attachment-4.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 9.56.29 AM.jpg
    Last edited by DeWayne Hayes; 04-16-2023 at 12:38.