Thread: A long time ago

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Default A long time ago

How many remember flannel PJs? Every winter when the Alberta Clipper jumped the 2 strands of barbed wire and came down onto Oklahoma, my mother would have a thick pair of flannel PJs. 68 years ago they 8didn't have waffle weave long johns with cuffs round the ankles only the scratchy kind.

Mom, sisters, and grandma made quilts. Sadly, all but 1 has been lost thru childrens divorce.

Wash day on a wringer washer and hanging on a line, mom' hands would turn as red as a 12 ga shell. After mom said they were freeze dried, I would go out, take them down and break them onto the laundry basket.

Our bathroom had a little gas stove, and I remember at 8 lighting that stove for a bath; " remember light the wooden match, then turn on the gas slowly and stick p it in the ceramic grate." Use a hatchet to split kindling. My grandkids...no way!

My parents were born in 1911. Grand mother was born on 1886 in a covered wagon in Oklahoma Indian Territory near Apache OK. She could skip a tin can across the ground with her pump .22.

That's when I learned girls can shoot
    Last edited by PWC; 02-21-2023 at 09:14.