Threaded View

Default Gallipoli (Mini Series)

I watched the first installment of this last night and was very favorably impressed.

Of course the impression given is that the Australians and New Zealanders did most of the fighting when they were, in fact a minority. The Majority of the troops engaged were British, in addition to the Aussies, Indians and Frenchmen also fought there.

That minor issue out of the way: The acting is quite good, both the Australian and Turkish characters were, I thought, well drawn. Attention to detail on the equipment, including weapons, web gear, uniforms and even ammunition was very, very good. I noticed the Australians were carrying Mk VI ball (215 gr. round nose.) That was in fact the case. Australians weren't issued Mk VII ball until later in the war. Rifles on the line are shown cocked safety on, another minor detail but one usually not seen. Most movies show firearms that should be ready un cocked. Bayonettes are the Pattern 1907 with quillion, also correct. Uniforms and weapons of the Turks are equally impressively done. These are minor details, but the kind of minor details folks on this site may appreciate.

Its one of those movies that made me appreciate that "smell-a-vision" was never invented.

The series depicts a campaign that is a testimonial to what "noodledom" can, unfortunately, accomplish.
    Last edited by Art; 05-05-2021 at 10:58.