Threaded View

1. Default New owner all original 1864 Springfield Rifle Type 2

Hello and thank you all here, love this site its a wealth of information! I own a few of the old rifles, M1A, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903 Springfield, 1873 Trapdoor Carbine, 1898 Springfield Krag-Jorganson, and just got a 1864 Springfield Type 2.

The 1864 Springfield I got from a life long friend who dealt with estate sales. He told me it was always kept in the same family all its life. It was in dusty and sort of neglected stored for decades in a household closest. Anyway I went over it taking her gingerly apart and did some cleaning, did use my Wheeler Deluxe Tools so I wouldn't damage any screws etc. NO I did not uses any abrasives or metal brushes on cleaning ;-) . Loads of soapy hot water, "Never Dull" cotton cleaner, Muzzle Magic Cleaner, Hopps 9 and linseed oil for the stock. I should mention the stock has no cracks though had its share of dents and nicks and was pretty dried out. Prior to cleaning I examined it for any cartouche and saw none on the stock. Best as I can guess its a type 2. Always open for opinions or suggestions. Posted some before and after shots. Can't wait to try her out at the range. 1 Full View w:Bayonet.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images