For years I tried to find the “right” .22 ammo for my Ace Conversion. Lead shavings accumulated in the moving chamber of my Ace and clearing the mess was a pain. Some Ace conversion units don't have the problem, but most do and enthusiasm for the Colt Ace unit is understandably luke-warm. The conventional wisdom is to use plated high-speed ammo to reduce the leading problem. The problem is less with plated high-speed ammo, but my unit still leaded. Other fixes involve copious quantities of Break Free, lapping/polishing, etc.

Rather than trying some of the more extreme fixes, I kept searching for the “right” ammo. Alhough CCI's lead free Copper 22 ammo is a little expensive, I tried it and all the problems I was having disappeared. My conversion unit loves the stuff. I tied to find deposits in the moving chamber area after 150 rounds. MAYBE there was a tiny bit of dust where there used to appear toughly fused-in lead.....or was the dust just my imagination? The accuracy was also very good. I was apprehensive about possible damage to the extractor or timing issues but so far no problems. Has anyone else tried using Copper 22 ammo? If so how did it it work in your Ace?