Hi All,

I've gotten a bit better since my last posting, but I've still got rear-sight picture issues w/ my positioning. After looking at the 1942 training film/video, I no longer keep my head to the rear of the stock, where it is more comfortable, but just forward of the comb near the mid-point of the pistol grip. I shot 83-0, 84-0, 85-0 on the 1st 3 legs of of the National Match Course at Youngstown club I go to for CMP matches, which is VERY consistent for me. I did have vertical stringing on those targets, but breathing and trigger control are "next" on my list of things to focus on. I could have done much better on the last leg, and I need your help to figure out where I need to keep my noggin on the stock.

I shot the 20 round final leg in 3-shot groups before I would lean over to the left and check my shooting with my scope. I noticed I was going up and to the left, so I adjusted my sights once, then again, and finally a 3rd time before I thought maybe something was wrong with the gun. One of the locals was coaching a youngster and so I asked him what was wrong and he instantly said "head position behind the rear sight was changed". Here's the target in question....

....as you can see, some very nice 3-shot groups, unfortunately nowhere near the freakin' X

So I keep my head back and relaxed, and that's no good. I'm stretching my head now to get it closer to the rear sight, but evidently, that's no good. The only other thing I can think of is to position my head at the top of the comb of the stock, before the pistol grip. I'm about 6'-0" and 180 lbs, kinda lanky, but not so much anymore...

Your constructive criticism is appreciated. That flier on the upper left corner was one of my last 2 shots for that leg, and it kept me from going past 400 (I got 395-0 today total). I'm trying to break 400, honest, but this head position/cheek-weld thing is really throwing me for a loop. Thanks.

Mike D