I am new to several Carbine forums and am new to this one also. It is my desire to get a consensus on whether (1) I should pull the trigger on a purchase of this rifle and (2) what the maximum offer should be to make the purchase. The rifle is a Universal which was manufactured back in the 80's but is NEW, never been fired, still in the original box with purchase papers for proof. I have done a good bit of research and have discovered that only Universal parts can be used for repair/replacement and that USGI parts are not interchangeable. The research has also uncovered a few serious concerns about Universal including, but not limited to, possible "firing out-of-battery". With all of this said, it seems that the Universal M1 Carbine is also well established on the market. I am looking for a good shooter for my grandson and my funds are somewhat limited. I certainly can't afford a USGI version but I also do not want to risk a questionable purchase on a used non-USGI model. Based on my research it seems that a reasonable offer on a rifle in this condition may be valued at a maximum of $550. I would be very interested in your thoughts or concerns, including any constructive criticism. Thanks.