I don't understand why people are so repulsed by food others find to be delicacies. My mother used to spank me if I didn't eat everything on my plate. One food that always gets rapped as awful slimy sheet, is okra. One reason for that is how it is prepared. I grew up in Arkansas and until I went into the military, I had only seen okra fixed one way... breaded and fried. I couldn't imagine why anybody would want to ruin perfectly good okra by boiling it. Then I found gumbo!!! A difficult dish to cook, and the seafood version is VERY expensive and very difficult to make. A roux takes over an hour and has to be stirred constantly but without okra, it ain't gumbo.

Then there is lizards, sometimes called "rooster fries." Chicken livers and gizzards (and hearts), cooked correctly, are great! But cooked wrong they are chewy and unpleasant.

Greens are another gift from God. My favorite is Poke Salat. It is a plant that grows naturally in the wild in the Southeast USA. Eaten raw, the plant is poisonous to humans. But boiled three times in fresh water the harmful chemicals are removed and the cooked greens are then fried with bacon and served with boiled egg slices and Bruce's Pepper Sauce.

Then there are chitterlings. I could write a book on those but some people think they are disgusting, while others love em.

My sister won't touch a tomato but loves lasagna or spaghetti that has a lot of tomatoes in it.

Go figure.