Thread: Small Problem

Threaded View

Default Small Problem

I'm having an issue with my 1903A3 that has me scratching my head.

I shoot every month in CMP Matches, and I've had this happen three times now. The problem is a strange one. I don't think it has anything to do with the stripper clip though. When I thumb the rounds in, the second round seems to move forward slightly and the nose catches on the ramp cocking the cartridge. This prevents the remaining three rounds from fully seating in the magazine well since they too are cocked at an angle. I have to use something... usually another bullet, to force the round to the rear before I can get the cartridges fully into the magazine. This time (last Saturday), it cost me two saved rounds. The OAL is within spec with about 1/16 clearance at the front of the magazine/ramp. I've done it three times now, always during the rapid reload - my initial charge at the start of the rapid goes in like butter every time.

My loads are a Nosler 168 gr HPBT Match Custom Competition bullet with 44.0 grains of H-4895 and a CCI #34 primer and I'm using HXP brass. It's a "Tack Driver" with this load and I use the same round in my Garand (using Lake City brass). The rifle is a Remington 1903A3.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'm thinking of switching to the Hornady 168 gr A-Max bullet. Any thoughts on this, or should I stay with the Nosler?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 09-18-2017 at 04:34.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo