Thread: Photos of my John Hall Arms

Threaded View

Default Photos of my John Hall Arms (Photos Fixed)

Since Dan Shapiro brought up the John Hall arms in a thread over on the Krag forum I volunteered to post photos of the four Hall arms I've got. This is from a thread I posted back in 2015 on another web site forum. I've already posted photos of sniper rifles, bayonets and BP Navy bolt guns here in Culvers.
    Scout

Hall History
    09/26/2015

John Hancock Hall received a patent for his breach loading design in 1811. Government testing was delayed by War of 1812 and lack of funds afterwards. In 1817 US Army requested 100 rifles for testing and evaluation. Government officially adopted the rifle in 1819 and ordered 1,000 rifles. The production was to be done on the grounds of the National Armory at Harpers Ferry but it took Hall almost 5 years to produce the tools and machinery to make the rifles as they required parts interchangeability. Hall was the first in the US to make arms with the precision of interchangeable parts. The first rifles were assembled in 1824 and all 1,000 were completed that year. The government ordered an additional 1,000 rifles and it took just over 1 year to fill that second order. In 1826 the government conducted a test were 100 rifles were disassembled and the parts mixed together and then reassembled into 100 newly manufactured stocks. There were no problems and the successful test resulted in another order of 3,000 rifles in 1828. Production of the Hall model 1819 continued at Harpers Ferry until 1840 totally about 20,000 rifles.

Hall – Harpers Ferry model 1819 rifle, dated 1831, .52 caliber, Flintlock

Hall – Harpers Ferry model 1819 rifle, dated 1832, .52 caliber, Percussion Conversion

Last edited by cowtownscout; 11-11-2017 at 11:41.