Threaded View

Default Enlarged Primer Pockets

I've been reloading for a couple years and finally ran across something for the first time while at the range the other day. I had a primer pop out of a spent case when I ejected it from my M1917. I brought that case plus the other cases home to reload and found that the primer pocket on the case with the popped primer was enlarged to the point where it would not hold a fresh primer. I measured the enlarged pocket with my digital calipers and found that it measured .210" wide. I measured the width of the pockets on three dummy rounds I have with newer cases. Two measured .206" and one measured .207". The new large rifle primer measured .209". All of my cases are made by PPU and most have been fired multiple times. I'm curious to know what would cause the primer pocket to expand by .004", especially since it's in the thickest part of the case. I'll have to start checking the pocket hole size on the next group of cases that I reload. Here, I thought I'd be able to reload these cases indefinitely if I only neck size and anneal necks every time, guess not.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-23-2017 at 09:01.