Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
I started using 'surplus' 4895 back in the sixties when I was a kid. Mostly because it was something like .29 cents a POUND for the stuff. They'd weigh it up, and double bag it in paper bags over the counter at Skagg's Drug. Worked great in our 30-06 bolt guns, and .308 lever guns.
I didn't need to load for the M14's our team used, had all the NM ammo we needed, all we had to do was bring brass back, and the armorer didn't care what brass, just wanted a 'close' round count.
I started using Varget years back after it became available, and found that I don't get the vertical stringing in my rapid fire strings like I do with 4895 and 4064. It also give me very consistent velocities on very hot, or very cold days. Getting Varget was nearly impossible post-2008, and remained hard to find for several years following. Bought four or five eight pound 'kegs' of the stuff that looks like will last me through perhaps the end of next year.
I full length size 30-06, 308, and 5.56/.223 in small base dies. Essential for my semi-autos, lever and pump rifles, and the bolt guns don't seem to mind one little bit. My GI brass lasts through as many loadings as any 'commercial' brass, I just have to pay attention to reducing the charge a bit to accomodate the smaller internal volume.
Humm, vertical stringing during rapids, hummm... Duly noted... Varget...
Worth a try...
bombdog...