I was given a Ross Rifle to sell by a friend who is sick and needs some medical bill money. Actually he gave me several other guns but the Ross is a little bit of a mystery and I don't want to get it wrong in the description. I'm hoping a Canadian collector knows the answer. His father bought it in the 50s to early 60s so no import marks and it is not US marked. His father collected mainly Canadian and British arms. It is a model 1907 configuration Mark II*. the bore looks good as does the wood. The bluing is worn to a even patina. It was accepted into service in 1909. So to the question.

On the wrist is a large R.C. on the unit markings on the left side of the stock is 11 over 12. His father believed it at one point belonged to the Royal Canadian Rifles circa 1914 when they were formed as part of the 12th Division. Once they left for Europe they supposedly handed in their Mark II's for new Mark III's. The only reason I question this is I thought the Royal Canadian Rifles at least on they Bayonet stuff marked them R.C.R. If you guys want a couple pics I can get them if necessary, just hoping someone knows the answer right off the top of their head.