Threaded View

Default My first Arisaka, Kokura Type 99

Good afternoon,

I stumbled on a Type 99 at a local pawn shop for $200. I will admit my knowledge of japanese weapons is slim at best. Normally I would go, do a ton of research then make my purchas decision but I figured $200 isn't bad even if it isn't perfect. Here is what I can tell you so far and the few photos i was able to take at the shop, I apologize they aren't better, I'll post more when I pick it up next week. I plan to purchase the book "Military Rifles of Japan" very soon and get smart but in the interim your knowledge is appreciated!

1. No Anti-Aircraft wings but same type of sight
    2. Has front sight protectors
    3. No dust cover
    4. Monopod mount/band but no monopod
    5. Earlier knurled cocking piece / bolt handle etc.
    6. Mum mostly ground off but you can still see a few petals.
    7. I believe Kokura Arsenal
    8. I cannot identify the symbol before the SN (45194) to determine block. It looks like a v-tail swallow but I don't recognize that mark in my research. I understand Kokura to be block 20-25?
    9. Good rifling but dirty.
    10. Metal buttplate
    11. Stock finish seems pretty nice by military standards, though perhaps sanded and refinished I now realize (I hope not...)

I didn't see serial numbers at the bayonet lug and bolt handle but i really didn't look that close.

Again, I figured it wasn't too bad of a deal. Also, any help dating and determining "originality" by which I mean, I understand at some point that the anti-aircraft wings, dust cover and monopod were no longer built into the weapon, is this likely in that window rather than pieces that were discarded by the Soldier? Either way I don't really care, I have "rescued" another rifle needing a good home... and found yet another rabbit hole for the collection!

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images