Thread: Powder Question

Threaded View

1. Default Powder Question

Hello all,

I'd like to know if anyone has personal experience with using Win 748 or H 335 to load Garand rounds with 150 gr bullet. I'm aware there are loads listed in various loading tables, and also in Clarke's M1 loading article, but that, of course, doesn't mean it's a good idea, esp for a gas gun. I'm also aware that 4895 is a great powder for Garands and there are others too, but I'm asking about H335 and W748. I'm also concerned that Clarke's article says 'never use anything slower than IMR 4320', and most tables show 748 slower than 4320; then Clarke goes on to give 748 loads, apparently contrary to his own warning.

H335 also sits right next to 4895 of the burn rate chart, so it "seems" a good choice, but that could be misleading.

I'm primarily concerned about cycling, and avoiding damage to the op rod with inappropriate port pressures.

Would be great to hear from someone who has extensive personal experience with loading either of these powders. Of course, if it's a bad idea, horror stories or "don't do that" warnings are welcome also.

Experience tells me someone will ask "why do you want to use those powders?" The reason is that 1) They are available to me, 2) I use them, esp 748, for other guns, 3. I'm looking for a ball powder that will flow easily thru a Dillon 550 measure and be safe for my Garand.

I'm not trying to open a long thread about Clarke's wisdom or a host of other possible topics. i'm just trying to find out if the two powders I mentioned will be good choices to load 150gr bullets in a M1 Garand.

Multiple replies welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by XLF30; 02-27-2016 at 02:45.