Quote Originally Posted by ignats View Post
Well, try that with a Class 3 FFL-C&R which many collectors such as myself have.

FFL eZ Check does not validate Type 03 (Collectors of Curios and Relics) and Type 06 (Manufacturer of Ammunition) licenses. All attempts to check the validity of Type 03 and Type 06 licenses will result in an error message, even though the licenses may be valid. An FFL should not use this error message as reason to deny dealing with a Type 03 licensee.

Whether or not ATF would be interested in the seller not shipping you the gun is debatable. They may refer you to USPS for mail fraud or the local PD. Like I said earlier, if someone wanted a copy of my C&R FFL, prior to buying a gun that I was selling, I would most likely not do that. Some sellers in the past have sent me a copy of their FFL's some don't. There's no law requiring the shipper/seller to even have an FFL, but before he can ship to a buyer in another state, he must have a license (depending on the type of gun involved) from the person who is going to receive it. I suspect you've missed out on some deals if you insist on having a seller send you his FFL. In my experience, most of the nice collectible pieces come from individuals rather than gun dealers and some of them don't have any type of FFL. Good luck and good collecting.
Being prudent and doing due diligence with who you are dealing with comes with 35 years of law enforcement at both the municipal & federal level. Maybe I have been lucky, but I have never had anyone refuse to exchange licenses once I have sent them one. I won't say being scammed won't happen, but the likelihood is certainly minimized for me. I'll leave interpretation of Title 18 USC, Chap. 44 up to you as to how you interpret and follow the law. My wife accuses me of being paranoid anyway! Happy Holidays!