Threaded View

Default "C" Stock Question

About 20 yrs ago I restored a high-numbered RIA 1903 that returned from Turkey w/ a subway tunnel bore. Used a WWII rebuild barrel and had it all re-parked by Philadelphia Ordinance. Lastly, I used a Sarco repro C Stock because the original wood could not be saved. Since retirement I have been looking for projects. I never liked the fat contours of the repro stock and was going to re-shape/ slim it down to 1930's era dimensions. What stopped me cold in my tracks was realizing that the stock is inletted for an A4 bolt handle. Plan B is to sell this stock and get one without the inlet and re-shape that one to my liking.
    My question is this; Who makes the best (for now) C repro? Sarco has a new one on the web site that they say is the best one, years in the making. The images show no bolt notch but what about the grain. I can't really make out much in the photos. Boyds can be hit or miss but I had some good experiences re-workin Boyds pieces for my Garand and M1A (see attached image). I can do in-letting, shaping and mil-spec oil finish. Because of costs involved, I do not want to get an authentic C stock. The rifle is refinished w/ a replacement barrel so to me it's just a nice shooter. Any direction/ feedback is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."