Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
I never met the Major in person, nor have I ever had a personal conversation with him. I do have fond memories of reading his posts and stories through the years, and of reading the numerous stories about him and his accomplishments and contributions. I am forever grateful to both him and Gloria for starting this forum because this is where I "cut my teeth" when I started collecting milsurps. I knew almost nothing when I started as there was very little information out there and in the early days of home computers and dial up internet, this website helped change that. I learned an awful lot here and it has provided me with the knowledge to really enjoy this hobby for many years. It saw me through my divorce and through the problems of being a single parent. It was my outlet, my escape, this is where spent a lot of my "me" time. We've had our problems here, had to move to another host for awhile, but we are still here and to me this is home. I may not post as much as I used to but I always try stop in daily to check up on things. Today I almost wish I hadn't. Today, our country lost a Great American.
Almost word for word what my experiences were. I thought I was a "1903 expert" when I started using Jouster, but I soon found out how ignorant I was! I especially appreciated Gloria's job keeping the "peanut gallery" in line (and boy, we NEEDED it!!) Both Dick and Gloria were unfailing friendly and polite to me in posts, PMs and emails. I deeply regret, living in the same part of country I was always "too busy" to stop and see them.

Although Gloria had the reputation of being "the enforcer", Dick wasn't above doing the same thing, as well. I remember one unnamed individual who tended to be a pain to anyone he disagreed with. With this guy, you weren't just wrong, you were an idiot! One day, Dick got on him and set him straight!! I wish I could recall what Dick said, but this "lion" turned into a lamb - he did everything but call Dick "sir" and, as I recall, he was never any trouble again, and eventually slipped away.