Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
To Weasel.....if you have an A4 marked as an A3......Bubba did it, not Remington. My A4 is clearly marked as such (and I'm not sure how you'd know since most of the ID would be buried under the JR mount...the ID on a real A4 was moved to the side of the receiver and so can be clearly and completely read).....and I've provenance up the wazoo on the rifle to prove it's pedigree. I know that early A1's (maybe) were not clearly marked as such, and it got to the point that ANY 03 with a scant stock was considered an A1. But AFAIK, everything after around 1926 was marked as an A1....my A1, handed down from my Grandpa who bought it new at Camp Perry, is clearly marked as an A1 with a build-date in June, 1926
The markings on early '03A4 rifles were partially obscured by the scope mount base, but they were shortly relocated to clear the scope mount, and they were still marked '03A3. If yours is marked '03A4 then Bubba did do that, or you need better glasses. If your grandfather's rifle is marked '03A1, then someone added the A1 marking. I would be pleased for you to prove me to be incorrect. How about posting photos of the two rifles you have referenced? I'm all but certain that everyone would enjoy expanding their knowledge base.