I spent today at the range with a chronograph testing handloads for my M1 Garand. I finally have a handload that duplicates military M72 Match ammunition:

Caliber: .30-06
Case: FA-61 Match
Bullet: Sierra 175 gr. HPBT #2275
Powder: 48.5 gr. Hodgdon Varget
Primer: Winchester Large Rifle
Cartridge Overall Length: 3.330"

This load chronographed at 2697 fps average velocity with an SD of 14.03. Since the target velocity was 2700 fps, I'd call it "spot on". It also happened to produce the smallest group and the highest score of the eight loads I tested (including some 1968-vintage M72).

I've been meaning to develop this load for a long time, as I am almost out of surplus M72. I would have loved to have simply found the load someplace, but I searched high and low and nobody had one listed for this bullet. Everybody seems to want to use 4895 or 4064 for their M1 Garand loads. But I love Varget, so this was a worthwhile exercise. Now people can find my load and use it if they choose.

Fair warning: There is a lot of conflicting data out there. Depending on which loading manual you read, this load may exceed the maximum recommended. But I found enough information to make me comfortable with it. Plus I'm using a McCann adjustable gas cylinder lock screw, so any extra gas just vents.

It was a beautiful day, and an awesome way to spend the last day of 2013.

Happy New Year!