Having owned several Colt percussion revolvers in the past and having happily banged the wedges in and out, a friend just dropped by with an older Walker '70s repro. The wedge on this revolver was fitted so finely that just depressing the spring catch at the end of the wedge allowed it to be pushed out with only thumb pressure. He offered,"how else could a rider on horseback be able to swap out cylinders?". I don't know if riders did that or not but the violence I have used in the past was clearly not necessary. It was easy to refit the wedge on my '80s Walker the same way with the complication of shortening and bending the spring. It has been said that manufacturers simply have standardized wedges along all production models so maybe that is an explanation for the weird fit on so many. Another bit of folklore he offered was that the heavy mainspring of his revolver was to ensure that the hammer would hold the cap firmly against the nipple to prevent blowback from causing a multiple discharge. It was great fun and maybe I learned a bit about these fine revolvers.