Definitely an M43, one of those which were apparently arsenal refurbished under a post WWII contract to supply what we might call "clandestine" interests. Most standard Spanish arsenal markings were "scrubbed" and new markings, including it seems a new serial number, applied. All of this lot that I've seen have fairly low serial #'s (mine is 78XX), bolt and receiver #'s match but not floor plates etc. Typical too is the fact that the barreled receiver is parkerized, rather than blued. ALL of the rifles which I've seen of this configuration appear to be in newly refurbished condition, I've yet to see one with any field wear on it whatsoever. Standard Spanish M43's or not uncommon at gun shows, but they always show considerable wear and they do have the expected Spanish government markings in them. All of these rifles that I've seen were imported prior to the 1968 embargo (AKA: 1968 Gun control Act). I suspect that the caliber designation on the receiver ring, which would not commonly be found on standard, government issued M43's, was applied for the benefit of the intended "end users" of these contract rifles; many of whom might not be the best trained personnel. Surplus arms imported prior to 68 required no markings by the U.S. government. My hunch would be that the intended buyer of these weapons never took delivery for who knows what reasons and they laid in some warehouse. I have old Rifleman magazines from the early 60's with advertisments offering "like new" Spanish M43's. That's probably when this bunch of guns made their way to the U.S. NOTE: a condition of the mid 1980's legislation, which once again allowed the import of surplus military arms for civilian sale, was that the weapon had to be stamped with the name of the importer/distributor and caliber.