Hi all,

I was somewhat surprised to read about the controversy caused by using the the second finger to pull the trigger while using the index to quickly line up the muzzle of the pistol to the target. I was a 2nd lt. in the army and never was taught that method of firing the 45. At least I can't recall it and I know I never read the manual, warning of it's use.
However I do have a 1911 that I shoot and I had somehow dislodged the slide stop pin while firing it on two occasions. It probably had everthing to do with my grip.

The way that I corrected this problem, (which was probably my problem and not the pistol's), was to dimple the slide stop pin where the plunger spring contacted it. It never happened again but my "give up" was in not having the slide lock back against the slide stop pin after the last shot was fired. Since I was shooting on the range and not for my life, that seemed to be a reasonable give up.
The Slide stop pin I dimpled was an extra part I bought and i'll be experimenting further with altering it slightly again in an attempt to get the slide to lock back with the stop after that last shot.

In any event, I think it can be safely stated that any real "fatal flaw" in a confrontation with a 1911 has to be in facing one... without having one. It is still the king of pistols in my book!