Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock finish

Default Stock finish

Getting a NOS No4 Mk1 stock to build a sniper clone . What would be the appropriate finish..BLO, PTO?

BLO cut 50/50 with pure spirits turpentine. Some will tell you RLO...
    Tung will do but is considered sacrilege.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Thank you Sir. The wood appears to be beech, orange in color.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    BLO cut 50/50 with pure spirits turpentine. Some will tell you RLO...
    Tung will do but is considered sacrilege.
    Few believe me, but if you jump up from hardware store BLO to the art supply oil, it doesn't need cutting with spirits.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24722734?w...&wl13=&veh=sem

Yes it cost a lot more than the hardware store stuff, but you only need a few ounces to do a stock. It won't break the bank
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Few believe me, but if you jump up from hardware store BLO to the art supply oil, it doesn't need cutting with spirits.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/24722734?w...&wl13=&veh=sem

Yes it cost a lot more than the hardware store stuff, but you only need a few ounces to do a stock. It won't break the bank
    The stand oil is much thicker. The purpose of cutting BLO is for deeper penetration. 3 to 5 times in as many days. Wipe the mixture on, wait 20 minutes, then wipe to a dry appearance. Once dry, then rub with 0000wool and buff.
    After the 5th or 6th day one can apply the BLO straight using the same application method. Once or twice more should be all that's needed.
    Using the thinner oil does two things. Replaces the natural oils which have dried off over time, and puts the finish IN the wood instead of ON the wood.

Blog Entries

Thanks, J.B.!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

You're welcome Phil. I may not be a worlds leading expert on Lee Enfields, but I've been an Enfield nut for quite a while!

The butt stock itself looks to be "oiled" already..should I give that a rubdown too?

Why not? Linseed oil finishes require maintenance. The collector rules for BLO typically go like this:

Once a day for a week
    Once a week for a month
    Once a month for a year

Then some add: Once a year whether it needs it or not.

Oil in the forend and wait until it's ready for use. Then oil the butt and forend to match. Here's a tip: Diluted BLO tends to dry lighter on the surface than straight. If the forend has a reddish hue and the butt is blonde, then rub the oil on right from the can. For followup oilings it's your choice. I tend to go mostly diluted but only because it dries quicker.

Once again, Thank You Sir!