Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter5 Guest

Sir: who ran the rear gun? Was that auto synced to a radar? Interesting history posted.
    What platform has replaced its duties?
    Thanks for standing watch during the Cold War. BTW, have you received your Cold War certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    Sir: who ran the rear gun? Was that auto synced to a radar? Interesting history posted.
    What platform has replaced its duties?
    Thanks for standing watch during the Cold War. BTW, have you received your Cold War certificate?
    The rear turret was controlled by the Third Crewman who sat behind the pilot facing aft. They were aimed by a MK 21 Fire Control Radar system... They were removed early in service as they were not effective and replaced with ECM gear...

The A3 was so versitile that it went through several versions. From Nuclear Weapons Bomber, to recon, photographic misisons, ECM, both active and passive, plus they made a great tanker!!!!!

They are one of the unsung heros of the Cold War...... The last one was taken out of military service in 1991....

So they served from 1955 to 1991, and are still flying. Raytheon operates 6 in Van Nuys, CA!!!!! The first time I flew in one was at the Naval Air Special Weapons Facility at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque, NM BuNo 130357 which was the 9th A3 built. I was the Plane Captain (Crew Chief) of that A/C..

Yes, I do have my Certificate....
    "Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    John,

Those A4F's look like birds from the squadron I was in.....VA-55 embarked in USS Hancock (CVA-19).
    Found a couple photos of when I was in VA-55. I'm in the back row standing behind the C.O.

The big joke now is they are going to use FA-18's for tankers. That's a laugh, no legs trying to refuel another no legs. My old W-30 442 Olds had more range than the FA-18's.

Maybe some of those A-4 pilots trained at the base I was stationed at; NAS Kingsville, TX. I was an Aviation Hydraulics Mate in VT-23 back in the early 70's. I went up in our planes a couple of times and it was quite the thrill. Of coourse these were two seaters and they didn't have the avionics dome.

One question that has always puzzled me. I was asked to check out the radio in a A4 that landed on a cross country. The Navy has a DIFFERENT connector for the headset than the air force!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    One question that has always puzzled me. I was asked to check out the radio in a A4 that landed on a cross country. The Navy has a DIFFERENT connector for the headset than the air force!
    Can't help on that one John. All I ever did with the Scooter was to hump ordnance. Maybe some of the avionics or electrical types can chime in.

Not only was the connector different, the impedence of the earphones was different.

GO FIGURE!!!!

We in the Navy used an ARC 28 for UHF communications....

Here is one of the A3s still flying with Raytheon at Van Nuys...

She sure is pretty. And a side note, the Manager of Flight Operations told me that one of the A3s had a crack in the forward section of the wheel wells, so they cut the fuselage in half and added 2" the the length of the A/C!!

Shooter5 Guest

What does Raytheon use them for now?