1. Default Fairbairn-Sykes Knives

I'm considering buying a WW2 vintage F-S knife, but haven't had as much success as I'd hoped for looking for information about them. I've figured out the 1st/2d/3d pattern grip designs, but am a bit confused by the hand/machine ground blades, and the various marks. I understand that the MOD crow's foot indicates MOD issue - but what era? If a crossguard has Sheffield on it, I've seen conflicting info about whether that means it's a legit (WW2 era) knife or a post-war parts knife; can anybody provide insight? Also, what about ricasso markings? I've seen some on epay which are awfully appealing, but so nice that I think 70s/80s vintage (shiny blade, with F-S/knife on the ricasso).

I was surprised how little info I found on the Forum.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Default Fairbairn-Sykes research data

Steve,
    You may want to try and find the following book; Collector's Guide to the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife, Alan W. Locken, 633 Oakland Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2G OB7, Bunker-to-Bunker Books, Winnipeg, 1995, ISBN 0-9699764-0-2. It's only 104 pages, but extremely well illustrated with clear, close-up photography, extensive examples of markings, and a brief discussion on avoiding fakes. I've not checked Amazon, or other sources, for current availability. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Jim

You might want to keep in mind tht during WW2 anyone could buy them, Btits, GI's, and anyone else.

I do have a WW2 one that was actualy carried on ops. The owner sent me a letter about it, BUT I never recieved it. He retired to the Isle of Wight and the relative sho sent it to me lost contact.

4. Default

Gents, thanks for your responses. Please excuse my slow reply - haven't been on here enough lately. Work has been beating me down.

Thanks again!
    Steve