Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thank you for that link and all the information you, as well as others put out here. I grew up in a family where someone in every generation served, whether it be MC, Army, or Navy, but no one was involved in the shooting sports. I started myself shooting smallbore when my father passed and in the interviening 30+ years have come to deeply rely on gentlemen like you to keep rekindling my sense of history. It's why I'm just starting to do what you guys did 30+ years ago. Although I still do not have anyone within a days drive to shoot any type of match with, I'm busy working up loads and shooting (sometimes) out to 600 yds with my 1903 and my new-to-me Garand.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a note of Thanks to everyone here.

Best Regards,
    Bill

2. Default

Welcome to the sport. I hope you get to shooting soon. I think you will find the highpower crowd to be a good, bunch always ready to offer help to a new shooter. If I may offer a bit of advice related to this thread; shoot for the enjoyment and to meet your personal goals. That way every day can be a good day shooting. Winning can also bring rewards, and pursuit of that can come down the road. But for now focus on improving within yourself. Shoot what you want within the rules of the sport and the safety rules. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
    Welcome to the sport. I hope you get to shooting soon. I think you will find the highpower crowd to be a good, bunch always ready to offer help to a new shooter. If I may offer a bit of advice related to this thread; shoot for the enjoyment and to meet your personal goals. That way every day can be a good day shooting. Winning can also bring rewards, and pursuit of that can come down the road. But for now focus on improving within yourself. Shoot what you want within the rules of the sport and the safety rules. Good luck.
    This advice has got to be about the VERY BEST I've heard/read on the subject of competition shooting for the "newby"!

Competition shooting matches CAN be very intimidating to the "new" guy on the line . . . . .

As I said to the new, junior shooters in the club I was in . . . . .

"Nobody here on the firing line gives a hoot about YOUR score . . . . only their own!"

Concentrate on what YOU are doing . . . ignore the other doings around you!

Be safe . . . . and above all, . . . .

Have fun! --Jim

4. Default

Thanks JimF,
    I can only hope that the Original Poster takes it to heart as well. FWIW, Maury Krupp epitomizes that philosophy. He competes with his rifle of choice, understands the limitations, and does not try to rationalize his choices by degrading the equipment of others that remain within the rules as written. He is as knowledgeable about the rules as any and has an appreciation for the history of the sport. And most importantly, he is out there shooting in matches and not arm chair quarterbacking. We need more like him.
    Last edited by Chris F; 08-25-2012 at 11:29.