Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rodd Knox View Post
    I don't think he is calling the M14 a sissy gun. He's just funnin on how every generation looks back fondly to the Good Ol Days that never were. I remember an old Marine telling me about back in his day the old timers carried on about losing their 1903s and having to carry the ugly a$$ gas operated mess called the M1.
    Somebody gets it. A sense of humor is important when reading message boards.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Collector497 View Post
    ...The fear that many have is that the sport will be changed so much to cater to a minority that highpower will become something very different and lose that link to it's history.
    Which is exactly what has happened in NRA matches.

The ability to quickly assume a good position and fire a good rapidfire string has been a part of highpower rifle shooting since its inception.

Now it's gone

For everyone

All because the situation was forced into a choice between telling some people to "hang it up" or eliminating the requirement.

Maury

This is not a choice, really.

Did NASCAR shorten the races because Richard Petty got too old to hack being in the car for a whole race?

Did the NFL change their rules so that Joe Montana would only play touch football the last few years he was playing?

The answer is simple, and is one the money-grubbers at the NRA won't hear:

"I have this medical issue that prevents me from dropping into position."

"I'm sorry, those are the rules. If you can't compete according to them, please enjoy observing the match."

4. Default

Quickly assuming a good position and firing a good string is (was) a basic skill and an important part of highpower competition. Particularly Service Rifle competition.

But not as basic or important as putting shots in the middle of the target.

CMP saw this and decided to retain the standing-to-position requirement.

But even then they had the sense to make allowances.

For EIC and National Trophy matches when the whole story is "I have this medical condition that prevents me from dropping into position. It's called getting my f'ing legs blown off by an IED" CMP rightly allows those shooters to stay in position.

Standing in the Games matches has been optional for years. All it takes is a request to the range officer prior to the string. Nothing formal, no paperwork, no review. This has allowed many shooters to remain active and hasn't done any harm to the either the Games or the discipline as a whole.

Clearly it's possible to retain standing-to-position as a part of the course of fire without it being an all or none proposition.

The only thing you get from saying "all" is fewer people on the firing line; the only thing you get from "none" is fewer skilled riflemen.

Maury

to all those who say exemptions should be banned, just keep in mind that you will get to that time in life as well. Do you intend to sign a statement that you will sell off all those nasty rifles and take up dominos and shuffleboard instead?

No....but there are other things I can do with my rifles than shoot Highpower Service Rifle and demand that the rules be adjusted to my level of decrepitude! "Shoot" is also a verb....and there will be a time in EVERYONE'S life when you have to hang up the cleats.....hopefully with a certain amount of grace.

John, you've told me on numerous occasions that you are not a competition shooter....so how can you pass judgement on those of us that have been doing it for decades?
    Last edited by John Kepler; 05-21-2010 at 03:04.

I also realize that at some point, I wont be able to compete at the top level of the game, or my top level, but thats part of the game. If my eyesight goes, why should I get to move the targets closer, or run a scope or if I get the shakes from my meds, why should I get to use a rest and still have a chance at winning just the same as those that have to do it the "hard way? Might as well lower the basketball rim so white guys that cant jump like me can dunk the ball and play in the NBA.

Noone said those that cant stand to sit, or cant see, etc cant play, but if you cant play like everyone else, you dont get to take home the National Championship like everyone else.....

I dont expect anyone to change the rules from me when my old ass gets to the point I cant compete any longer, why should anyone else? If I f' myself up in a car wreck, I shouldnt get the rules changed. If I dont practice and cant hit the broadside of a barn, I shouldnt get the rules changed. If I get fat and cant sit and shoot, I shouldnt get the rules changed.

Pretty simple if you ask me.

John
    Distinguished Rifleman
    Presidents 100
    High Master - XTC, MR, LR
    Member US National Rifle Team

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    No....but there are other things I can do with my rifles than shoot Highpower Service Rifle and demand that the rules be adjusted to my level of decrepitude! "Shoot" is also a verb....and there will be a tme in EVERYONE'S life when you have to hang up the cleats.....jopefully with a certain amount of grace.
    THANK YOU! If I am in decent enough condition when I'm 80 to compete IAW the rules, I will. If I can't, I will find a Junior team to impart my wisdom to. Done deal.

9. Default

This I can agree with. Don't stop me from playing but "I" understand the rules are what they are and I don't get my own set to play by.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Maury Krupp View Post
    They don't have to quit. I don't want them to quit. More people on the firing line is always more better.

If it takes special rules for special cases/groups that's OK by me. There are a bunch of special groups already. What difference would one more make?

But don't change the rules to put me in that special group when I don't want or need to be.

Maury
    Maury,
    You are my hero!

All the best to you...Prost

Brian aka "Sights"