Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Why would you want to deny someone, because of their age, or silght infirmity that they love doing? It never ceases to amaze me in all the shooting sports that I have been involved with in my life, there are always the self appointed experts, professionals, or whatever name you want to give them. I learned more about shooting from " these OLD guys" than anyone. The reason I say this is that for years I helped an OLD FRIEND with his trap shooting. Carried his shotgun while he and his walker moved from station to station. He was 93 when he passed, and I miss those days. Remember that when you try to hold to your youth, and someone tells you NO.
    Last edited by tony1950; 05-17-2010 at 09:54.

I will go along with this sentiment up to the point where it begins to subvert the intent of the sport. NRA has done that and then some. The very best of the "Old Guys" know when the time has come to hang-up the cleats....others demand that we change the nature of the game to accommodate their increasing decrepitude. I admire the former and hold the later in contempt.

3. Default

Tony1950 (if that's your birthdate I understand why you might be sensitive about the "old" thing) this is not intended to insult old guys. I'm not "young" but I'm not "old" either. Aging sucks and I try to stay fit (many don't). My eyes cannot keep up with young bucks -- should I be able to shoot with a scope while they use irons??

The rules of game shouldn't be changed. If you can't keep up with the rules, you get disqualified. That's life. Nobody stays on top of their game forever. Gordie Howe played hockey until he was 50 or something like that, but the didn't change the rules for him. He was just one very tough bastard. If you can do it, then do it. If you can't then shoot benchrest or something.

In a sport that is supposed to approximate combat shooting, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to hit the ground from standing before they pull the trigger. If someone can't do something as simple as that, then... they should play checkers.

Plainly stated , if you cant get down on the deck or any of the four its time to hang it up and let the rest of play with our 03's , M1's and even M14"s Dang dont change the sport cuz somebody got fat and lazy!

Quote Originally Posted by carym2a View Post
    Plainly stated , if you cant get down on the deck or any of the four its time to hang it up and let the rest of play with our 03's , M1's and even M14"s Dang dont change the sport cuz somebody got fat and lazy!
    OK no changes for the fat and lazy but where do you stand on the old and arthritic? Fat and lazy can be avoided but we're all on our way to the other other scenerio. Recreational soccer and base ball handle it with Over 30, Over 40 and (imagine) Over 50 leagues where the level of competition slows down and in some instances the rules are changed in consideration of the work hardened hips, knees and ankles. Point is - these people aren't expecting to play the same game as the 20 year olds and most of all not expecting that the rules of the young man's game will change to suit them. They don't take their ball and go home - they just find a different way to compete and have fun. There's got to be ways to keep shooting without expecting the rules to change to let a guy drive his Cadillac up to his position, roll down the window and rest his rifle on the door so he can stay in the game.

I was just thinking of puttng a rest on the door of my ol pontiac and bringing a doctors release for it

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    I will go along with this sentiment up to the point where it begins to subvert the intent of the sport. NRA has done that and then some. The very best of the "Old Guys" know when the time has come to hang-up the cleats....others demand that we change the nature of the game to accommodate their increasing decrepitude. I admire the former and hold the later in contempt.
    EXACTLY. IMHO Richard Petty should have retired NLT 1987-88. His last few years in the car basically put Petty Racing in the "also-ran" category they are in to this day. You could probably say the same about Joe Montana or any number of athletes in any sport that stay too far past their prime. Over in the field of music, I heard Tina Turner said at one point she was going to quit doing rock and roll when she turned 50 as she felt it was 'undignified'.

Fellers, it ya can't hack the Drop, it's time to coach the youngsters or take up another shooting sport.

8. Default

They don't have to quit. I don't want them to quit. More people on the firing line is always more better.

If it takes special rules for special cases/groups that's OK by me. There are a bunch of special groups already. What difference would one more make?

But don't change the rules to put me in that special group when I don't want or need to be.

Maury

Why not institute a "points penalty" for not dropping into position? This would compensate for the advantage of remaining in position. A 5 or 10 point penalty for each stage ought to do it. It would only subtract 20-30 points from the end result, out of 500.

Mike Doerner

PS Are we so clumsy and forgetful to keep muzzles downrange and safeties on until we're in position? Has there ever bee a negligent discharge before dropping into position?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Maury Krupp View Post
    If it takes special rules for special cases/groups that's OK by me. There are a bunch of special groups already. What difference would one more make?
    Multiple special category groups exist (police, junior, etc.) but they still shoot the same course of fire with the same rifle as everybody else. Not only do they compete within their own category, they also compete for the overall prize.

The problem with making special rules for some but not others is that it begins to get difficult to decide when to stop. The fear that many have is that the sport will be changed so much to cater to a minority that highpower will become something very different and lose that link to it's history.