Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Great story John. Sounds like excellent Crew Resource Management!
    I agree with your feelings on the Pratt & Whitney R2800. Had some DC-6 time, and loved those engines.

One of the great points about the C-130, you push the throttles you have power!!
    No spool up time required, but unlike recips the Herk engines run at 100% all the time, the only thing you really do with throttles is increase the blade angle
    Only problem with the setup is when a pilot panics, talk about massive over-torque on cold days!!!!
    Once it has been decided to fight, one should do so to the very end, to conquer or perish...... Nothing smells better than the body of a dead enemy.

The meek shall inherit the earth - in little 3x6 plots Robert Heinlein

I dont know about the Navy procedures but in the Air Force it used to be normal for an evaluator to bag an engine during a flight examination.
    But with the increase in Simulator Tech, actually feathering a prop during a check ride became a thing of the past.

Now as to the intelligence of shutting down fifty percent of your propulsion on a short runway with no possibility of an overrun just for a checkride...... perhaps the evaluator pilot needs an evaluation of his own.

To many dead people from SLOJ, (Sudden Loss Of Judgment).
    Once it has been decided to fight, one should do so to the very end, to conquer or perish...... Nothing smells better than the body of a dead enemy.

The meek shall inherit the earth - in little 3x6 plots Robert Heinlein

I remember a story told about a check ride on the old 10-engine B-36 bomber ("six turning, four burning"). The check pilot told the flight engineer to "Feather 6" - to which the F.E. replied, "Which six"?

The R2800 powered a LOT of classic aircraft and is my favorite engine.

John, in your first picture, is that a row of TBMs on the right in the background?

Shooter5 Guest

Neat story! My dad was up in the Canada in the 60s once on a floatplane going to do some fishing and the single engine sputtered out. He was happy the pilot re-started before they did a tundra crunch.
    What aircraft did you fly? How many hours?
    Thanks for your service.

[QUOTE=John, in your first picture, is that a row of TBMs on the right in the background?[/QUOTE]

We had a dozen JD-1s, about another dozen TBM-3Us which were rigged for target towing, 5 F6F-5s another dozen F6F-5K Target Drones painted red, 4 F7F-2D Drone Controllers, 2 PBM-5As, 2 F8F-2 Bearcats... So I got a lot of experience working on various recips!! I was an Aviation Machinist Mate (Aircraft Engine Mech)..

Plus for two years I was the Plane Captain (Crew Chief) on JD-1 #25 I flew every misson on my plane... I have a little over 1,000 hours in the Jig Dog. I was in VU-10 almost 4 years, a great experience.....

"Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY

[QUOTE=What aircraft did you fly? How many hours?
    Thanks for your service.[/QUOTE]

I was not a pilot but aircrew, and I mainly flew in the JD-1 and the A3D.. I started flying in the A3D Skywarrior when I was at Kirtland AFB. in Albuquerque in 1957 and when I was transferred to Heavy Attack at the Sanford, FL NAS, I trained as an Enlisted Bombardier/Navigator in the A3 and spent the remainder of my career flying in the A3. I retired from the Navy in 1970. I have 3,000+ hours in the A3.... Doing this, among other things!!!!!

The A26 was a great plane and will fly on one engine, however not on one wing!!!!!!---

I remember the "A-26" episode of the old "Wings" series on TV. The narrator was effusive in his praise for that aircraft, and stressed that it was only taken out of service because they ran out of parts.

As an Air Force brat and Navy veteran, I love this thread. I was born on Muroc AAFB in California (now called Edwards AFB) in 1945. My Dad got out after the war ended, but rejoined the Air Force during the Korean War. He was in SAC and I got to spend a lot of weekends on the SAC base in Columbus, OH (Lockbourne AFB back then) watching B-47 sorties. I've never lost my love for military aircraft, although my Navy career consisted of many months under the Mediterranean Sea pushing missiles around, and many hours aboard military charter flights flying between Rota Naval Air Station, Spain, and Charleston AFB in South Carolina.
    Thanks for sharing the stories and photos.

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.