Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going jeep shopping

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    the recall was for lube or oil in the rear differential,

you would think that would be part of a checklist item for shipment or for when received at a dealer and before releasing it to the customer
    Yes you would. If the recall is over dry differentials that should be a serious QC issue for Ford.

How many other manf would have admitted to it though, blaming worn out bearings and diff noise to neglected maintenance by the owner?

Long ago (1980's) I worked for a local GM dealership as a service advisor. One GM recall was for different types of bolts attaching the shocks. There were no known problems, just something GM was leary of. The local police force had just purchased a fleet of Chev Malibu's. We set up a deal where they could bring in 5 at a time and swap them out for 5 brought in the previous day that had been repaired in order to not disrupt their operations so much.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

The ford dealer here as not been taking care of us. We bought the vehicle in AZ when we lived there (new). Here in TX, the dealers want us to "drop it off for 5 weeks and wait" they won't give us an appointment!!
    I will be buying a Toyota. They LOST a good customer, We had a full size bronco, 2 expeditions, and 2 Lincoln town cars, and the 2020 explorer platinum that we are having troubles with, all bought NEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    The ford dealer here as not been taking care of us. We bought the vehicle in AZ when we lived there (new). Here in TX, the dealers want us to "drop it off for 5 weeks and wait" they won't give us an appointment!!
    I will be buying a Toyota. They LOST a good customer, We had a full size bronco, 2 expeditions, and 2 Lincoln town cars, and the 2020 explorer platinum that we are having troubles with, all bought NEW.
    Call FORD customer service and talk to them stating your ongoing problem.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Call FORD customer service and talk to them stating your ongoing problem.
    Sam
    +1

Recalls come from the manufactures, not the local dealers. Dealers get very little compensation for making warranty and recall claims so they do not push it.

If worse comes to worse factory reps normally make scheduled visits to the dealerships. Call the service dept and ask "when". Sometimes you can meet with them and discuss your problem if help isn't offered any other way.

5. Default

Kept my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 4.7 HO engine, bought new in early 2003. Real 4WD with low range. Have owned others since then, but kept it for 4WD just in case. Rolled over on 100,000 recently with really no problems at all except the crappy blend doors in the heating/AC system. Entire dash and console has to come out the get to them unless you cut through the air duct behind the glove compartment. I haven't drummed up the courage to cut into it yet.

Use it to pull out my Kubota diesel zero turn, because when they stick, they are stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Kept my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 4.7 HO engine, bought new in early 2003. Real 4WD with low range. Have owned others since then, but kept it for 4WD just in case. Rolled over on 100,000 recently with really no problems at all except the crappy blend doors in the heating/AC system. Entire dash and console has to come out the get to them unless you cut through the air duct behind the glove compartment. I haven't drummed up the courage to cut into it yet.

Use it to pull out my Kubota diesel zero turn, because when they stick, they are stuck.
    Best to just pay someone to do it, otherwise if you're like me, we'll just never get around to it. I mean, really, who wants to even start a project like that? Blend doors, actuators and evaporator core replacement normally involve having to pull the dash out. I had to have it done to my F-150. Cost for the evap core and actuators was around $1300 but worth it to me. I have a/c and no clicking actuator noises.

Problem is finding someone who is willing and competent enough to do the job. You may have to take it to a dealer.

7. Default

The last time I had it done the dealer wanted $1000 labor and an independent garage did it for $600. Since then they have come out with aftermarket aluminum doors instead of the soon to break plastic doors, but in the past 5 years probably haven't put 500 miles on it so just may let it stay that way.