Thread: Precision .223

Default Precision .223

Wet and cold out today so it's fun time at the loading bench making up some .223 cartridges. Starline weight sorted cases, 73 gn Berger Boat Tailed Target bullets over 23 gn of Varget with BR4 primers. This load has been working fine for me and keeping 10 rnd groups in the .2 moa range with a couple of my precision bolt rifles. Whatta Hobby!

Do you uniform your flash holes for even primer ignition spread?
    Sam

Among many other steps in the production of a reliable cartridge including annealing and running a tapered carbide mandrel into the case mouth as one of the last steps before priming, charging and seating bullets. Whatta Hobby!

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

yes, I've been using 24.5 grains of varget, small Standard Rifle Winchester brand primers, LC brass, and NEW Win brass for the 600 yard line (back in the day, not doing matches anymore, can't get down can't get up) Been using that load for 25 years or so.
    Using a 77 or 80 grain sierra match king bullet. (80's for the 600 yards ...they were SINGLE load due to length) this is through a so called "service rifle" AR 15. Mine is a DPMS with a DPMS upper with 1 in 8 twist and I'm told a Wilson Gage Barrel. (I couldn't prove it one way or another). It has match sights on it.
    OF course, ALL DISCLAIMERS apply, My barrel and chamber is DIFFERENT then yours. Reduce loads 10% and work up from there.