Thread: Seating depth.

Default Seating depth.

Working on tuning the seating depth of my 73 gn Berger bullets and precision bolt loads. After finding the powder load, now even more fun. Loading 6 each .010 jamb, touching, .030 off,.070 off and .110 off per the Berger reloading manual. Looking for that .030 - .040 wide sweet spot and then more refining. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of hand loading for me. Nice part of all this is once you change any variable, it back to the beginning. Whatta Hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    . . . . . .Nice part of all this is once you change any variable, it back to the beginning. Whatta Hobby!
    I went through all this a few years ago with my Winchester M95 in 30 Krag . . . .
    I found a ?sweet spot? using a Speer 200 gr. RN bullet!

Of course, Speer elected to DISCONTINUE this bullet!

So . . . .I get to start all over again!! (There oughtta? be a law . . . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I went through all this a few years ago with my Winchester M95 in 30 Krag . . . .
    I found a ?sweet spot? using a Speer 200 gr. RN bullet!

Of course, Speer elected to DISCONTINUE this bullet!

So . . . .I get to start all over again!! (There oughtta? be a law . . . . .)
    Same happened to me. I was very happy with a Berger 135 gn fb bullet in .308, then they stopped producing it. Had a friend making 135s for me using Berger jackets and he convinced be to go to his own 150 gn fb and there I sit for .308 precision.

Hope to get out on the range with my latest seating ladder today. As simple as shooting a couple 3 rnd groups in each seating length might seem, I have always been able to find improvements using this method. Good enough for this old guy anyway. Going from a .010 jamb to a .110 jump usually gives a good indication of a place to start. Whatta Hobby!

Seating ladder.jpg