Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Default HEADS up on BATTERY operated stuff

Heads up folks. A public service announcement for you all (y'all). I just got back from the range after shooting my 6.5 grendel. So I get out my cleaning case and clean everything. I want to inspect my chamber and pull the maglight penlight out of the case to look and it won't turn on. Ok, new battery time I figure. So, I got to open it and I can't unscrew it. I look on you tube in case I forgot does the back cap screw off or do they come out where the bulb is on the front end??
    You tube shows them unscrewing the back end. So I grab a pliers and twist and I can't get this thing to budge. So I threw it in a trash can and ordered a new flash light on line and I used a bore light to check the chamber.

THEN, I got to thinking, how many red dot sights do I have mounted on what? So I open my supply cabinet and realize I am out of batteries. I order them up, amazon gets them here the next day. I dig in the safe and I got 5 rifles with red dots. Well 4 of them were okay, but I replaced the 2032 batteries anyhow and wrote on the cap 4/24 with a paint pen. I get to the last one, my BELOVED sar48 with an aimpoint on it and the aimpoint is extremely DIM at the highest setting!!! Well, lucky, all was well, replaced that also.

CHECK and change your Batteries!! ONce the corrosion is there it is hard to get TOTALLY off and a lot of these battery outfits claim they will fix or replace. ..... Well, we know how that always goes!!

UPDATE on this.... I have batteries in 3 radios around the house.... yep...near dead, my automotive Dwell Tachometer....near dead......My automotive volt / ohm meter....same...near dead (those were replaced in 2017 and thankfully NOT with duracells !) then I thought, hey, I have five 3 D cell maglights laying around.. SMOKE alarms (did them last year but will do them anyhow)... and then yesterday, the battery in my 71 Buick Skylark was acting wierd. 12.39 volts at rest. So I had triple AAA out and they replaced it for 199 plus tax. I had replaced that between 4-5 years ago so I can't cry too hard.

CHECK EM OUT FOLKS!!

Mar 31, 2024

2. Default

I always remove batteries & pack them with, but not in things I use rarely. The little "disposable" Ziplocs that come with things are really handy for this. I never throw them out unless they've burst & corroded ruining the Ziploc!

Use a lot of AA and AAA batteries around here, and had used Duracell for years with no problems. About two years ago I started finding them leaking or already corroding. Contacted Duracell about the problem and the only thing I received back was a voucher for more Duracell batteries. Changed to Ray O Vac and Energizer and haven't had any of them to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Use a lot of AA and AAA batteries around here, and had used Duracell for years with no problems. About two years ago I started finding them leaking or already corroding. Contacted Duracell about the problem and the only thing I received back was a voucher for more Duracell batteries. Changed to Ray O Vac and Energizer and haven't had any of them to leak.
    I've noticed the same thing with the Duracell batteries. I used them exclusively due to lasting longer but now they seem to leak and have to be changed out.

in particular, make sure that the batteries on your smoke detectors are good. Replace them about every 6 months.