Default Finding Ammunition

I once watched a video by Paul Harrell talking about why he didn't like "Boutique" (he used a different term) ammunition, that is ammunition made by smaller manufacturers to and often different standard than the big companies. Two of his big beefs were the high cost and limited availability of the ammo which kept people from training with it in practice or even checking its actual point of impact.

Well it isn't just that stuff. I had been searching for months for Speer 9mm +P Gold Dot hollow points. This is a very popular round and it wasn't until today that I found some at Ammo to Go (thank you Bruce) and I think I bought their last law enforcement box of 50. It was still available today if you want to buy a case. I also can't find any variation of the .38 Special +P Semi Wadcutter Hollow point, or any .357 Magnum 125 gr. semi jacketed hollow points and believe me when I'm in a store I check it out. None of this stuff is what Harrell was talking about. This is all pretty plain vanilla mostly old school ammo that is very, very popular. Any odd duck ammo is strictly catch as catch can.

I'm not saying the ammo mentioned above is totally unavailable, I am saying it may well take a dilligent search of several sources.

I suspect this situation for self defense ammo is going to continue for quite a spell if you're selective at all. Fortunately "blasting ammo" for training in the popular handgun calibers is still widely available and I still have a reserve of handgun self defense ammo, from now on though, if I'm in a store and I run into a box of, say Federal .38 Special +P SCWHP ammo I'm probably going to buy.
    Last edited by Art; 03-30-2024 at 02:07.

I keep searcing for .30-40 Krag ammo. I know Hornady and Remington brought some to market. Guess I just keep looking out of habit. Paul had it right about "boutique" ammo. It's the sort of stuff that if you see it, you'd best buy it b/c it's to turn up again for a long while. About like .35 Remington, .300 Savage, .30 Remington, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    I keep searcing for .30-40 Krag ammo. I know Hornady and Remington brought some to market. Guess I just keep looking out of habit. Paul had it right about "boutique" ammo. It's the sort of stuff that if you see it, you'd best buy it b/c it's to turn up again for a long while. About like .35 Remington, .300 Savage, .30 Remington, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    I just picked up 14 boxes of 300 savage in an estate,

gave it all to my brother to put in his shop, it sells fairly quickly on the Northern Neck,
    and at a decent price,

there is modern available, we were able to get some 35 Rem and 257 roberts, and a few other calibers recently, but only a few cases at a time,

not seen 30 Rem in a good while,

Art,

I have a single box of Winchester Ranger 38 Special +P+ 110 gr jacketed HP in front if me if you need it,