Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best and safest .357 home defense round

I no longer shoot my revolver at the range. I want to keep it for home defense. I live in a development with many homes
    around me. I don't want my rounds to exit the walls of my house into that of another.

Would you recommend the Glaser Safety Slug for home defense? What other similar rounds are out there?

I reside in the state of Maryland.
    Last edited by tmark; 03-28-2024 at 05:09.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    I no longer shoot my revolver at the range. I want to keep it for home defense. I live in a development with many homes
    around me. I don't want my rounds to exit the walls of my house into that of another.

Would you recommend the Glaser Safety Slug for home defense? What other similar rounds are out there?

I reside in the state of Maryland.
    For your concerns the Safety slug is probably a good choice. There are two issues. It probably won't shoot to your sights, and it's darn expensive. You might want to make one last trip to the range with a few rounds make sure you're on target and to make any adjustments. The stuff is not cheap but since its going to be you "nightstand gun" you won't need to shoot any after the range trip if you choose to make it.

A P.S. This stuff is almost impossible to find even though it is still supposed to be in production. I've even seen it on auction sites....good luck.
    Last edited by Art; 03-29-2024 at 06:55.

+P 38 special HP.

My 2 cents.

Snake shot.
    Sam

Allen is correct, a reliable .38 Special Hollow Point is the way to go.

Like Allen suggests a person in your situation should avoid Magnum loads like the plague. The most effective round out of a .357 Magnum, and possibly the most effective out of any handgun is one of the .125 gr. semi jacketed hollow point preferably the Remington or Federal versions. They generally don't ovepenetrate the target (bad guy) either. However, those are really wicked in terms of buck and blast. Shoot them inside once and you may need hearing aids after and especially since you're not going to be practicing, again, Allen is right; in your situation I RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY FROM THOSE or any magnum load for that matter.

Now, the problem with .38 Special has always been finding a hollow point bullet that will expand reliably at under 1,000 fps. Winchester solved that problem, at least for 4" barrel guns with the lead 158 gr. semi wadcutter hollow points. They expand reliably and have a proven track record in many, many fights. The fly in the ointment with these loads is lack of expansion in barrel lengths under 4". I personally prefer the Remington version if I can find it because it has the biggest hollow cavity and the softest lead. If you have a 'snubby" there have been some options that actually work. One of the best is the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. "Short Barrel" load. By all accounts it actually works at snubby velocities but can be hard to find. Several other companies make equivalent loads.

S.A. Boggs recommended bird shot. When I worked for the "gubmint" I knew an old boy who had that as an option for the first two shots in his home defense revolver. After the first two, though he went "full Jamaican," hollow point, hollow point, hollow point, hollow point.

My devalued $.02 worth and as usual your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Art; 03-29-2024 at 07:00.

As Allen suggested, a good .38 Special load. All the power and flash of a .357 load just isn't needed, and in your home will shoot to the same POA even if you had time to get the right sight picture.

Take a look at Ammo to Go https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index...mmo-357-magnum You can compare penetration, velocity and expansion for loads you wish to consider. Glaser safety slug was a good idea, but it is no longer produced. Basically a very light for caliber JHP will be a good choice. This will limit penetration. A good .38 Special load would be a very good choice. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Allen is correct, a reliable .38 Special Hollow Point is the way to go.

Like Allen suggests a person in your situation should avoid Magnum loads like the plague. The most effective round out of a .357 Magnum, and possibly the most effective out of any handgun is one of the .125 gr. semi jacketed hollow point preferably the Remington or Federal versions. They generally don't ovepenetrate the target (bad guy) either. However, those are really wicked in terms of buck and blast. Shoot them inside once and you may need hearing aids after and especially since you're not going to be practicing, again, Allen is right; in your situation I RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY FROM THOSE or any magnum load for that matter.

Now, the problem with .38 Special has always been finding a hollow point bullet that will expand reliably at under 1,000 fps. Winchester solved that problem, at least for 4" barrel guns with the lead 158 gr. semi wadcutter hollow points. They expand reliably and have a proven track record in many, many fights. The fly in the ointment with these loads is lack of expansion in barrel lengths under 4". I personally prefer the Remington version if I can find it because it has the biggest hollow cavity and the softest lead. If you have a 'snubby" there have been some options that actually work. One of the best is the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. "Short Barrel" load. By all accounts it actually works at snubby velocities but can be hard to find. Several other companies make equivalent loads.

S.A. Boggs recommended bird shot. When I worked for the "gubmint" I knew an old boy who had that as an option for the first two shots in his home defense revolver. After the first two, though he went "full Jamaican," hollow point, hollow point, hollow point, hollow point.

My devalued $.02 worth and as usual your mileage may vary.
    The reason for the snake shot is being woke up at 0 dark 30. Another thought is 148 grain wadcutter, low nose and recoil. Shot placement is the key, not so much as power. Kneeling position is preferred as to standing... smaller target and not being where the perp thinks you are.
    Sam

Buffalo Bore's Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special round featuring 150g Hard Cast Wad Cutter - (850 fps/M.E. 241 ft. lbs.)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=111

Let me be an iconoclast. Handguns are bad choices for home defense! They are hard to shoot under good conditions. In semi-darkness, with your knees knocking and your teeth chattering, an intruder may think, "I can take that gun away from him.)

But in semi-darkness, with your knees knocking and your teeth chattering, and a shotgun in your hands an intruder will think, "I better stand real still. That thing might go off."