Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Let me be an iconoclast. Handguns are bad choices for home defense! They are hard to shoot under good conditions. In semi-darkness, with your knees knocking and your teeth chattering, an intruder may think, "I can take that gun away from him.)

But in semi-darkness, with your knees knocking and your teeth chattering, and a shotgun in your hands an intruder will think, "I better stand real still. That thing might go off."
    Agreed. In actuality, I do think that a short barreled 12ga pump shotgun loaded with #4 buck is a much better choice given the situation the OP describes. Might also want to consider the 1 3/4" mini-shells offered by Aguila and others manufacturers.

All great comments with many options. Thanks!

3. Default

I'll swing the opposite direction. A Pepperblaster or a Taser; if legal. No hesitation to use it and less blowback afterwards.

Grew up in MD and know the politics.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    I'll swing the opposite direction. A Pepperblaster or a Taser; if legal. No hesitation to use it and less blowback afterwards.

Grew up in MD and know the politics.
    Here is a pretty darn good little tutorial from Masaad Ayoub on the advantages (and a few limitations) op chemical incapacitants like pepper spray. One thing he mentions that I know to be true. Some people when you spray them will become even more dangerous if they can get to you. Bullets aren't magic and neither is this stuff. I had a partner when I was working up in New York City who is still one of my best friends. I worked a case with him that was not quite finished before I moved back to Texas. Well the time came for him to make the arrest and he took a lady FBI Agent with him. The "perp" was eating in a restaurant, my old partner who I'll call "Bob" walked up to him flipped out his badge and credentials and was promptly "Maced" by the bad guy. Well "Bob" couldn't see, and was in great pain but the bad guy wasn't in a spot he could move quickly so "Bob" charged the follow, grabbed him by the collar and belt and threw him through the plate glass window in front of the restaurant. He and the lady agent then handcuffed the "perp."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v+pWUq-OEYpiI

I think I have this you tube info correct but for some reason my 'puter doesn't want to show you tube on this site so let me know if it works. If it doesn't I'll try again or you can just look up Massad Ayoub and pepper spray on you tube.
    Last edited by Art; 04-01-2024 at 09:23.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Agreed. In actuality, I do think that a short barreled 12ga pump shotgun loaded with #4 buck is a much better choice given the situation the OP describes. Might also want to consider the 1 3/4" mini-shells offered by Aguila and others manufacturers.
    For inside the house close up #8 birdshot will kill instantly in body mass and blinded by a headshot.

I have #4 buck for the mossy 930spx and I've test fired it with that and a variety of slugs ranging in 1000 to 1400 FPS.
    the 1400's will almost detach your retina's !

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    I have #4 buck for the mossy 930spx and I've test fired it with that and a variety of slugs ranging in 1000 to 1400 FPS.
    the 1400's will almost detach your retina's !
    I've got a Mossberg 930 SPX fitted with OR3GUN internals that I really like however, I don't rely on it for self-defense being a semi-auto. The Remington 870 and Maverick pumps I have located throughout the premises fill that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    might want to reconsider those mini shells. Read here
    https://gatdaily.com/articles/musing...ct-mini-shell/

Quote Originally Posted by Former Cav View Post
    might want to reconsider those mini shells. Read here
    https://gatdaily.com/articles/musing...ct-mini-shell/
    I have considered them and personally, I wouldn't use them for self-defense for the exact same reasons outlined in the article you linked to.