Default 1959 Colt NM Ser #4XXX-NM

Recently came into possession of a 1959 Colt National Match .45 pistol. To best of my knowledge it is all original and has only seen moderate wear for a match pistol that is 65 yrs old. I notice also that the recoil spring plug and barrel bushing are of a slightly peculiar design. What can you more experienced 1911 shooters tell me about the care and feeding of this match pistol. Hardball ammo okay to shoot? Recoil spring weights recommended, etc. Thanks.

The Colt NM that you describe was designed to fire the 185 gr. semi-wadcutter bullet. The slide has metal machined from the front and rear of the inside of the top of the slide to lighten it to function reliably with the 185 grain ammunition. I have never seen one, but others have described slide cracks from firing the 230 gr. service load in these lightened slides. The slides were hand fitted to the receiver, and the last 3 or 4 digits of the serial number are stamped under the back sight. A really nice pistol, and probably the last of the hand fitted Colt pistols. The 70 Series NM Colt pistols came with a finger bushing that put pressure equally around the barrel to keep it centered in the bushing rather than hand fitting the bushing to the barrel.
    The barrel bushing and magazine spring plug were tapered to center exactly when the slide came into battery.

Thanks Johnny. Did a thorough inspection of the Colt NM today and also started the paperwork to bring it home. Slide and frame all appear to be in good shape; no evidence of cracking or fissures. I do believe this particular Colt NM was well cared for and fed only the lighter 185g ammo. I do plan on replacing the recoil spring with a new 16# pounder and would like to shoot 230g hardball through it, although not on a regular basis.
    Last edited by Oyaji; 03-30-2024 at 06:05. Reason: Typo

My son has mine now, and never fired anything but 185 factory or 185 or 190 grain handloads. Too many others that were designed for the 230 grain hardball. With slide serial numbered to receiver you don't want to take that chance.

Good point, Johnny. Believe I'll take your advice. Thanks.