Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a new lap top

I'm buying a new lap top to replace my present one. I tried to upload all my present info to a 'cloud', but it did not complete the job.
    The new lap tops I looked at are HP brand. They do not accept discs. So, I need info on how to set up a new lap top and getting all my present info loaded into it. Thank you for your suggestions.

I'm no help here but can share my experiences.

No Windows 11 laptop nor PC will play a dvd. Some PC's (tower) will load and play a disc but not the motion of it. In other words it would show still frames like text book info (no movies). Most if not all laptops now accept no disc.

I ran into similar problems as you. I bought and loaded all my info into a "memory stick" from my old Win 7 and tried to load it into my Win 11 as I'm suppose to be able. The new computer did N-O-T-H-I-N-G. A waste of time and I wasn't surprised at all.

In my case, and I'm not computer literate (I have a life), I sent every piece of info including my pictures (one by one) to my yahoo email then called it up on the new computer and saved or copied and pasted.

I briefly owned a Dell Win 11 touchscreen and lit keyboard laptop. I discovered that I could not drag and paste shortcuts to my screen like on a PC so I returned it and bought a Dell All-In-One, a PC with no tower. It's like a laptop on a stand. No clutter and it performs like a PC. Also a touchscreen.

Along the same time I bought a Chromebook. I love this little laptop and it's what the schools are using now instead of traditional books. It is touchscreen too (I do not and will not use a touch pad). You can install shortcut icons to your screen with no problem but you are limited to just 10 or so. Also, for some reason, Chromebooks have limited storage for pictures. Perhaps enough for most of us but for comparison the CB has 32gb storage vs my PC which has 1TB.

This was not the info you asked for but just a summery of what I discovered that may be ahead of you.
    Last edited by Allen; 03-23-2024 at 08:36.

Thank you Allen

4. Default

Thumb drives!
    They run on USB ports!
    I have a desktop & a laptop that won't talk to each other.
    I have a thumb drive bigger than my total memory use, they're surprisingly cheap nowadays.
    I copy (not backup) all my files to the drive & the reload it into the laptop to keep them both current.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    Thumb drives!
    They run on USB ports!
    I have a desktop & a laptop that won't talk to each other.
    I have a thumb drive bigger than my total memory use, they're surprisingly cheap nowadays.
    I copy (not backup) all my files to the drive & the reload it into the laptop to keep them both current.
    +1. Soon it will be time to take out the retirement account and it will be a totally separate system will copies on thumb drives.
    Read up on 'how to make a faraday cage' for storing everything.

Blog Entries

if you need a DVD or CD , you can buy a seperate drive that plugs in your USB port,

or buy a cheap used computer and us it for that,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    if you need a DVD or CD , you can buy a seperate drive that plugs in your USB port,

or buy a cheap used computer and us it for that,
    Yes you can. I looked into that though and they will not work on Win 11 (movies). They will work on all the previous Windows. They will play for text messages but not motion. I suppose this means you have to select the views by page or frame per frame manually.

Cheap, used computers with the older Win versions are plentiful on ebay.

8. Default

thumb drive will work, no worries.

I just bought a new HP computer this week and when setting it up, the new computer offered to copy the apps from the previous computer. That computer is also an HP and when I pressed the button, the new computer copied everything from the older one, including all of the data. I think that the two computers have to be within a few feet of one another for that to work. In the absence of that option, I would get a large capacity flash drive and copy all the data onto it and then copy it from the flashdrive to the new computer. From experience, I know that this is a fairly slow process but it does give you a separate backup for your data

To: Mark in Ottawa: What is a good brand name flash drive to buy? Thanks