1. Default 8mm 1950s Bulgarian Surp ? Save For Reloading or Sell?

Several years ago I picked up a 2,400 rds of 8mm Bulgy milsurp. Unfortunately, as warned, it?s pretty much all click-bang, hang-fire due to poor primers. The insides of the cases is pretty much clean and for the most part all fire.

I spoke to a buddy that reloads and as a cost analysis for 2,400 rounds: New Siera Matchking FMJ bullets @ .52/ea will run $1,248 and if he figures 1lb of powder will fill 150rds @ $52/lb = $832. So bullets and powder for 2,400rd will approximate $2,080. Sounds spendy. Does that sound right?
    ~~~ reinstate dodge-ball in primary school ~~~

Personally, I would pass as not cost affective. Prive is $1.26 per round, is boxer primed and reloadable.
    Sam

3. Default

Probably a bit more background indicated ......

I don't reload now but have a brand new 550 (still in box) and a bunch that goes with it including a crap-ton of accessories, tools, primers, powder, NATO and some other bullets.

I know the corrosive, berdan primers are spent, which is why I bring this up. I've been saving my calibers of reloadable brass, including 8mm (and buckets of 30-06), for years.

I figure, maybe when I retire, I might start reloading as a new hobby and maybe get more into precision shooting, etc.

Obviously, there are no specs on the powder, so best transferring over into other 8mm brass, I'd think. With all that in mind, assuming that powder still burns, I guess I'm wondering if it's all worth keeping in the Ammo Fort as a couple $grand$ in reusable components?

Or, for example, are Bulgy bullets known to be crap and saving/reusing that old powder a moronic idea? Back in the day I used to read how some reloaders would break down the 1950s 8mm Yugo for bullets & powder and reload into other boxer brass. I have a lot of that stuff, too, and happen to think it's some of the most accurate 8mm milsurp I have. Typically, only one hang-fire in 40 or 50 rds wi HiPower Wolfe bolt spring.

Sounds like the ammo had poor storage and again I would salvage what I could. Personally, I would pull the projectile and dump the rest, powder included. I reload on one of Mike's early 550B from 40 years ago.
    Sam

5. Default

A fellow on another forum is saying it's absolutely bad powder and not primers. If pulling bullets and reseating with fresh powder is all that needs to happen, then perhaps, an exercise worth doing. That is, after I burn through my lifetime supply of other 8 mm, LOL