1. Default corrosively primed brass

Recent magazine article stated brass from corrosively primed M2 Ball is damaged by the priming compound and not suitable for reloading.

Anyone else heard this?

Figured once it is deprimed and washed thoroughly it would be fine.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 03-16-2024 at 06:07.

I inspect all range pickup brass for any damage. I have a 5 gallon bucket of bad brass which I take to the local metal recycling business. Usually get $35-40 per bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    . . . . .

Anyone else heard this?
    Yeah, I have heard this . . . .BUT, it’s bad info!

The late Phil Sharpe put me right when he said the corrosive primers do NOT affect the brass . . . .

It was the very old, MECURIC primers that impregnated the brass . . . .rendering it unsuitable for reloading.

For years, I have been handloading old WW2 brass (corrosive primed) with absolutely no problems . . . .

I get MANY, MANY reloads from it . . . .due to mild loads.

I never load “up to the red line!”
    Last edited by JimF; 03-17-2024 at 06:20.

4. Default

It was the very old, MECURIC primers that impregnated the brass . . . .rendering it unsuitable for reloading.
    ^^^this^^^
    There are also primers that will leave a salt residue which eats steel, but that's a different issue.
    "Corrosive ammunition is ammunition that uses a primer with chemicals that, when ignited, leave a residue of corrosive salts.

Most often, these primers have potassium chlorate or sodium perchlorate which, when burned, decomposes into potassium chloride or sodium chloride.

Sharp-eyed readers will note that sodium chloride is also known as common table salt.

Potassium chloride isn’t much different than common table salt and both are very hygroscopic (meaning that they attract water) and, because of that, are highly corrosive."