Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV commercials

Default TV commercials

Remember back in the past; when a commercial came on everyone rushed to get a snack/drink because the commercial only lasted a minute or so?
    Today, you can bake a cake, take a shower, or scroll stations to find some thing better. The average one hour TV show has 20 minutes of commercials.
    Mostly prescription ads.

Bullsheit, nonsensical commercials are the primary reason why I don't watch TV anymore. Oh I might watch FOX news for a few minutes each evening, but that's about it for me. I'm simply not interested in the latest pharmaceutical, women's hygiene product, adult diapers or wokeism and DEI propaganda that seems to have infiltrated television programming. I find it all a real turnoff.

Yeah . . . .
    I wrote e-mails to CBS and NBC about this . . . .
    I said it’s too bad Nora O’Donnel keeps interrupting the string of commercials with her drivel about world events!
    Received NO REPLY, of course!

As mentioned before and it would be an option for you, we have the Direct TV "Gennie" DVR. We buy basic "cable" with one add on "chick flick" group of channels. Local TV channels go through the box as well. All commercials can be FF as long as you are watching things a few minutes in the past (you can't FF during real time).

You don't have to be recording either but it works the same for recorded movies and programs.

If you decide to get up for a snack, go to the BR, or get a phone call you can pause it to keep from missing anything. Still, you don't have to be recording. It simply all goes through the box.

We have no phone cord attached either so "big brother" isn't snooping.

An off the shelf DVR may work as well but I haven't tried that since we already have the Direct set-up.

As you all have mentioned though, the commercials are getting out of hand, not just on TV but with the internet too. YouTube is getting worse and worse.

I hate it when they interrupt my commercial string with a couple of minutes of show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    I hate it when they interrupt my commercial string with a couple of minutes of show.
    At least it doesn't happen very often.

Blog Entries

Commercials used to be randomly timed on different channels. Now, they have gotten together and the commercials are sync'd. When a comm'l comes on the station you are watching and you go searching, comm'ls are on all stations. Keeps you from finding a better show than what you are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    Commercials used to be randomly timed on different channels. Now, they have gotten together and the commercials are sync'd. When a comm'l comes on the station you are watching and you go searching, comm'ls are on all stations. Keeps you from finding a better show than what you are watching.
    It also guarantee's you'll be watching a commercial.

I am sure most of us have seen the ASPCA commercials showing the poor suffering dogs, begging for donations. An internet search reveals that very little of the donations actually go to help the poor animals. The head of the ASPCA has a yearly compensation fo almost $1 million dollars, with several more making in the $400,000.00 range. About three times as much is spent on advertising as on actual help for the animals, and they have something like $11 million stashed in off shore accounts.
    We donate to our local animal shelter which relys mostly on volunteers with only a couple of paid employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    We donate to our local animal shelter which relys mostly on volunteers with only a couple of paid employees.
    We do the same and it is a no kill shelter. The animals live there till they're adopted or die of old age.