Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Vertical stringing on military Mausers, IMHO, has a lot to do with the v notch rear and pyramid front sight. It's very easy for that pointy front sight to creep up and down in the V. My Yugo short rifle is quite accurate but has the same problem If I speed up between shots or my eyes start to get tired. Really taking my time between shots helps a lot. Later Mausers have more reasonable sight settings, the low setting on my Yugo is 200 meters calibrated for 196 gr. heavy ball and it does seem to be close to dead on at that distance with that heavy ball and about 3"-3 1/2" high at 100 yards.

Why Mauser stuck with this sorry sight set up for the whole production of the line is a mystery to me. The Swedes used a more practical sight set up which is one of the reasons, again IMHO their rifles have a reputation as possibly the most accurate Mausers. The aperture sight on the Japanese Model 99 helps a lot with that too.

I wouldn't mess with the front sight, you aren't going to hunt with the rifle. It could be considered a light form of "bubba-izing." I'd just keep doing what you're doing, but it isn't my rifle.
    Last edited by Art; 03-29-2024 at 11:51.

I did a lift on the Gewehr 98 front sight, just welded a tab to it and filed it correct. The '08 is too nice for that kind of treatment.

jn