Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Having some fun with the 1908 model Brazilian Mauser

I've had this rifle about 30 years. It is nowhere near pristine but has a good barrel, most of its bluing and matching numbers. Compared to what is out there on the market today it is a cream puff. My brother and I took it out shooting in the National Forest south of Sandpoint (ID) last Sunday, instead of going to church.

paul_mauser_2024.jpg

It has the original front sight, so you have to aim low to get on the paper. I might try to find a taller blade for it. It should be quite accurate. The Gewehr 98 that is its stablemate surely is, once the barrel gets hot, shot after shot practically crowd together
    around the POA

G98_1..jpg G98_3..jpg G98_10..jpg

Both rifles are shooters, and good ones.
    jn

Long barreled Mausers are a lot of fun . . . .

Here’s a group I shot with the pictured Amberg Gew ‘98 . . . . .

Knowing all my milsurps shoot “a mile high”, I place a white sheet of paper well above my aiming bull.

As I’m only a “group shooter”, I’m only interested in the tightest group possible . . . .NOT the “Point of Aim”.

Notice my group centers about 18” above the P.O.A.

IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    Last edited by JimF; 03-16-2024 at 08:16.

Put another blue target where you have the white paper. That should do it for those wanted results on a target.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Long barreled Mausers are a lot of fun . . . .

Here’s a group I shot with the pictured Amberg Gew ‘98 . . . . .

Knowing all my milsurps shoot “a mile high”, I place a white sheet of paper well above my aiming bull.

As I’m only a “group shooter”, I’m only interested in the tightest group possible . . . .NOT the “Point of Aim”.

Notice my group centers about 18” above the P.O.A.

IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    That vertical stringing is kinda typical of rifles with long barrels, long stocks and barrel bands. Once the barrel gets up to operating temp, the groups tighten up. IMHO

jn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMOhio View Post
    Put another blue target where you have the white paper. That should do it for those wanted results on a target.
    Yes, John . . . .I used to do that . . . .

But I quickly realized a white sheet of paper was only necessary . . . . .

(Remembering, I’m only interested in “groups” . . . .NOT scoring rings)

Plus, the bullet holes are MUCH easier to see on white paper than holes in the blue bull . . . .or, worse yet, in a black bull!
    Last edited by JimF; 03-17-2024 at 05:32.

I didn't realize that using the white paper would let you see the holes better. i don't recall the distance you were shooting at. I agree, the front sight has a lot to do with shooting high but.....is the stock fitting also be part of the problem. Barrel heats up and presses against the stock. Much like shimming one of our US Military rifles. Can't remember which one, the 03's or the Garand.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

John . . . .
    My targets were at 100 yds.
    I don’t think stock fitting is a “problem” here, ‘cause ALL these Mausers shoot high . . . .designed that way!
    As far as “shimming” goes . . . .Both the ‘03 and Garand are given barrel pressure, BUT . . . .
    With bolt action (‘03) the tip pressure is UP.
    With the Garand, the tip pressure (at the lower band) is DOWN.
    Last edited by JimF; 03-18-2024 at 03:56.

Those WWI era rifles were zeroed at 400 meters. The M-1903 was zeroed at 540 yds. This practice was common to the era when it was expected that infantry would be engaging men marching or mounted calvary. Rifles were sighted to allow the maximum danger space so that hitting distant targets would be simplified. In the post WWI era many rifles were modified to apply lessons learned in the trenches, one of which was to zero rifles based on actual experience in combat. So, the M-98 became the K-98 w/ a 200 M zero. And, the Marines zeroed their 1903's at (IIRC) 200 yds. Of course the M-1 had a fully adjustable rear sight which greatly simplified things.

With a bit of fiddling, a front sight can be cut/filed out of a piece of key stock, aluminum, copper, etc. that will allow one to zero a rifle for more effective use at more moderate ranges. Cut the blade high and then file it down till POI = POA at the range you want to shoot. This method has worked well for me when shooting K-98's, etc. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 03-19-2024 at 12:07.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Jim, thanks for refreshing my memory on the shimming. Now the task is not to forget it again. Thinking what you had written I can not understand why anyone would design a fire arm to deliberately shoot high. It can't be due to recoil is my first and only thought for that design. Depending on the distance, you would have to aim at a persons hip line to hit them in the upper chest. If you aimed at the chest in all likelihood the bullet could go over his head pending the size of the person.
    Author unkown.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMOhio View Post
    Jim, thanks for refreshing my memory on the shimming. Now the task is not to forget it again. Thinking what you had written I can not understand why anyone would design a fire arm to deliberately shoot high. It can't be due to recoil is my first and only thought for that design. Depending on the distance, you would have to aim at a persons hip line to hit them in the upper chest. If you aimed at the chest in all likelihood the bullet could go over his head pending the size of the person.
    Ahhh, John . . . . .

You?ve hit the nail on the head! . . . .

When one actually thinks about it, battlefield conditions dictate that human targets are very obscure.

Remembering you have iron sights, sighting an enemy at distance means only seeing his torso, as his head, arms, and legs become damn near invisible at anything over 100 yards.

So . . .
    Place what you CAN see atop your front sight, and you stand a good chance of hitting him SOMEWHERE between the crotch and the neck!