Default Ornamental Yew bushes

They are not good for wildlife! The berries are sweet - I used to eat them when I was a kid - but they are death on deer, elk, moose, etc. From Idaho Fish and Game:

https://idfg.idaho.gov/article/talk-...h-21-st-maries

And yeah, I am still above the grass and still hunting and fishing - just not as fast.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I am still above the grass and still hunting and fishing - just not as fast.
    Good to hear.

I too use to eat the berries from the Japanese or Chinese Yew. I heard that some people made jelly from them. There is a hard seed at the end of the berry that may not be edible.

Oleander leaves have a sweet taste I hear but every part of the shrub is poisonous to humans and animals. Polk (Polk Salad Annie) leaves are edible but I hear the rest of the plant isn't.

Then there's Hemlock. I don't know about animals but it is deadly to humans. I don't know who would want to eat that though anyway.

There's lots of poisonous plants around, even house plants, particularly those with heart shaped leaves.

Blog Entries

not sure what they were,, but we used to have some ornamental bushes in the medians of some of the local highways,

then every fall\winter there would be a great number of birds and a few squirrels splatted across said roads,

seems the berries fermented rather easily in the sun, the the animals would get a buzz and end up roadkill,

city pulled up the bushes, and planted grass

I use to work at an industrial plant. Pigeons were a big problem crapping on everything so the company bought what they called "crazy corn". This was cracked corn tainted with "something" that made the birds disoriented. They would stop eating or crash dive into the pavement or equipment.